Wednesday, March 26, 2014

First of All

I've been toying with the idea of blogging about running and fitness for a while now. But I am such a novice that I feel like I've no right. An expert should be writing. Right?

But then again, there are a lot of people out there who are probably like me. I didn't like the sun, I didn't like to sweat. Going up and down the stairs made me out of breath. Running for even just one minute intimidated me. Let alone 3.1 miles or 5K? I told myself...it will kill me.

That was a little over a year ago. A friend coaxed me into registering for the SF Diva Run. The pink and the black attracted me. The hunky firemen waiting for you at the finish line with the medals tempted me. So, I registered. And because I didn't want to pass out or give up before I reach the finish line, I knew I've to commit to training.

http://www.runlikeadiva.com/
 
I downloaded a C25K (Couch to 5K) app I found on the Apple App Store and followed it. The app is more like a walking/jogging program than a running regimen. Each session took 20 to 30 minutes, 3 times a week. The first week involved alternating between 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking, for a total of 20 minutes. I dreaded the time the app would signal that it was time to jog. I cursed at it until the 60 seconds was up. The first two weeks was like that.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/c25k-5k-trainer-free/id485971733?mt=8
 
 
The best thing that happened to me was I stumbled upon our little town's runners club on Facebook. I think being a part of this group has helped me stick to running. It's basically a group of people who's got the running bug and they have infected me! Every time I had a question about anything related to this sport, someone in the group will have an eager reply. Every one is willing to help and show their support.

www.mhrunners.com

So, yeah, there you go. I think there's a lot of us who are self-proclaimed, stubborn couch potatoes...who never in there wildest dreams ever have seen themselves part of any sport.

But it is possible. I may not be an expert but please allow me to invite you to join me in this journey. And even start your own. Let me know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment