Thursday, March 27, 2014

Throwback Thursday: How to be a Runner

I figured that since I am just starting out this blog, I should probably tell you more about myself. If you are on Instagram, you've probably come across #tbt or #throwbackthursday. It's a trending topic every Thursday when people post old or past photos. How about doing the same thing for a blog? Why not? There are a lot of things you can learn about somebody - about who they are now, from their past. So, I'm going to share a little more about myself every Thursday. Maybe I can convince you that if a self-confessed couch potato like me can feel confident to call herself a runner in a year, you can do it, too.


My first running shoes (02/03/2013)

First of all, I am not a shoe person. I'm the type that will only buy a new pair when an older one is worn out. I will have a few classic colors to match outfits but that's it. I had to dig out the Pumas I bought from when I got pregnant with my second baby years ago, just so I can wear decent shoes for running.

The problem is those Pumas aren't made for running. So, my legs and feet ached after a few runs. Thus, a cry for help at my newly found Facebook group.

 
If you're new to running, it helps a lot to be able to find a support group like the one I found in MH Running Club.
 
http://www.mhrunners.com
 
This group is simply the best. We have runners at all levels and they are so helpful and very supportive. We organize group runs and even sign up for local races together. Honestly, any couch potato would be motivated if they find themselves belonging to this crew.
 
I believe that I started off on the right foot because of the people I've come across with on MH Runners. But not all of us have a good fortune of living in a town with a club like that. So, here's a summary of your first steps to being a runner. Tips I've collected so far:
  • You need good shoes - It helps to visit a running store like Fleet Feet or Roadrunner Sports and get fitted with the right shoes. I did just that and found out that I should be wearing size 6 instead of 6.5 on running shoes. I also have a very neutral gait (Yay!). It helps to find out this things so you can be wearing the right shoes for training and avoid injuries.
  • You need non-cotton socks - A good pair can mean the difference between a blissful run or painful blisters. You can buy them in many different materials, thicknesses or sizes. But you must remember to stay away from 100% cotton socks. Once cotton gets wet, it stays wet. When your feet sweat or you step in a puddle, cottons socks will make your feet feel cold or clammy and even cause blisters.
  • Start with the C25K (Couch to 5K) program - download an app or checkout this link. This is a 9-week program that will get you into the habit of fitness. Muscle soreness is unavoidable for the beginner runner. The muscles develop resistance to the stress of running. So you need the right program that will apply just enough stress to trigger this effect and no more. Any more stress can cause muscle damage instead and just discourage you from continuing. The C25K program will help your body build up and progress smoothly.
My FB post on my 4th week of C25K Training.

  • Go at you own pace and give it a month - Take "no excuses" on your first month. Don't miss a single planned run on the program, no matter how much you dread it. Give it a month and you will find yourself enjoying your runs. Choose the pace you are most comfortable with and just enjoy.
  • Sign up for a 5K -  This is what got me really hooked in running - that glorious moment of crossing finish line. Sign up for a 5K happening around the time you finish your C25K program. This will really help you commit to the training because it means you are preparing for a formal event. Once you cross that finish line, you will be hungry for the same experience again.

No comments:

Post a Comment